Privileged Identity Management
Privileged accounts, shared accounts or non personal accounts. Whatever name you give them, they pose a huge risk for any and every network, no matter how large or small.
Whoever knows the password for a privileged account, essentially owns 'The keys to the kingdom'. Therefore, maintaining control over privileged accounts is one of the greatest challenges faced by IT and Security departments.
What are the problems with Privileged Accounts?
- Unlike regular users, that can be linked directly to an individual (eg. Jsmith), privleged accounts usually have a generic name such as administrator, or root
- A single privileged accounts may be used by many people
- It is impossible to monitor who knows the password
- The password can be shared with numerous people
- Critical services often run under the context of a privileged account, so can't be changed easily or often
- As the name suggests, they have more 'privileges', so can access more information and execute more commands than normal accounts
Fortunately, i2S have a solution to help better manage privileged accounts.
CyberArk Privileged Identity Management suite provides a number of benefits:
- Secures Privileged accounts by managing the passwords and controlling access to all privileged and / or shared accounts
- Know which individual is using a privileged account at all times
- Automation of password management (even those hard-coded, embedded or running critical services)
- Provide a (optional) 'toll gate' to enforce the need for approval, prior to obtaining access
- Update all admin passwords (due to exposure, employee leaving or policy/regulation enforcement)
- Contributes to compliance standards such as Sarbanes Oxley (Sox) and PCI DSS, by proving who has accessed sensitive information